Saturday, July 30, 2005

LAFB - F-16 Academics

We just finished the first week of F-16 academics with a test today...they aren't joking about the fire hose effect. The test was over the F-16 engine, which in the Block 42 is the Pratt & Whitney 220 (PW220). Flying the F-16 is going to take a whole different mindset compared to what I've been used to up until this point. The two jets I flew in pilot training and IFF all had two engines...in other words, if one dies on you the other should be sufficient to get you home safely. The F-16 having only one causes the pilot to always have in the back of his mind where the closest piece of concrete is just in case the engine decides it's had enough. It also affects the way we handle emergencies...you can't just shot off the engine if it's acting up like you could have more easily in a twin engine jet. Next week we're looking forward to two more tests and our first sims to start getting us used to the new jet. They've told us our first flights are going to be on 25 Aug, so that's already less than a month away!

There are eight guys in my class, all but one is married and the other is engaged. So, it looks like I'll be eating well during my time here. They'll all want to make me feel a part of the married crowd by cooking me meals...I'm not complaining! I have to admit I don't cook that much, nor do I care to take the time to do so. A man's place is with the grill! Speaking of a grill, the house I just moved into and will be renting while I'm in Phoenix is completely furnished to include a grill. It's a sweet place only about 10 minutes from the base with a nice pool in the back. Another guy and I in the program will be splitting the costs. Well, I'm tired after a long week. I'll write more when the fun stuff begins. Oh, the Luke AFB aircraft designator is "LF" as seen in the first picture.

No comments: