Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Flight Lead Of The Quarter / Year

This past quarter, April - June, I was selected as the 35th Fighter Squadron Flight Lead of the Quarter and 8th Operations Group Flight Lead of the Quarter. It's a privilege, and God continues to bless me in work. I personally don't feel like I'm any better than the guys I fly with, but just being prepared and ready to fly each time I "strap on the jet" pays off. I'll continue to do so now as an instructor. A few weeks after I arrived at Kunsan, my previous squadron commander from Aviano emailed me with congratulations on being selected as the 510th Fighter Squadron's Flight Lead of the Year...again, an honor.

I'm enjoying the role of an instructor and seeing the "lights" come on in a new pilot's mind as we talk about certain subjects. As God continues to lead, I hope to attend the USAF's Fighter Weapons School located at Nellis AFB, Nevada. It's a very selective and competitive flying course to get into, but I have 4 more chances to apply over the next 2 years. Only about 15-20 F-16 pilots a year attend this course from across the Air Force. Down the road, I hope this would allow me the chance at flying the new F-35.

As of 1 week ago, my squadron found out we're going to Red Flag Alaska again Sep-Oct time frame. This is perfect timing since I was unable to go along this past April when the squadron went last. However, it's poor timing since we have friends we were planning to meet in New Zealand during that time. Hopefully I'll be in Alaska for the entire month, but we'll see how it works out. I would prefer being in Alaska for a month and enjoy flying around Mt. Denali over being here at Kunsan...I'll keep everyone updated.

2 comments:

Brent, Lori and Elli said...

Awesome job. I am proud of you too. Too bad we couldn't arrange to meet you in AK. How fun would that be:)

Josh and Sabine said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!