The time has flown by and soon Class 03-06 will be graduating! It's kind of hard to believe the time has come, but when you're so busy all the time you don't realize it. It's been a great time and a good experience, but I'm ready to move on to Columbus AFB. I plan to arrive at the base around the 12th of July after spending some time with friends and family. I'm actually doing to be at a wedding in Michigan the day after graduation, but the drive won't be too bad since my best friend Kendall will be heading back with me. Most people (even the bride to be) doesn't know I'll be there, so it'll be a good time.Last week at MOE was a good time as well. We finally had the chance to get out and "rough" it for awhile in tents without showers for a few days...unless you count using baby wipes to clean off. During our time our there we have different leadership activities throughout the day where we are further evaluated on our leadership skills. As an example, when I had my chance to lead I was given a scenario where I had to organize a rescue team to bring back a downed air crew. We formed up with our fake M-16's, headed out to the "crash site" and brought them back. Overall most of them were pretty fun...at least we all enjoyed the change of being off the OTS campus for awhile.

The most memorable part of our time at MOE was the C-130 ride we were able to take. We were all pretty pumped when we got the word because our upper class wasn't able to take one. Since the MOE site is located pretty close to of the taxiways and runways, it was pretty easy for us to jump in the back and strap in for the ride. Being close to the runway was also cool because we were right there to watch the C-130's here at the base practice some touch-n-go's along with the T-37's and T-38's that did the same thing while we were out there. Pretty cool stuff. Anyway, the ride lasted about 20-30 minutes during which time the pilot took us through some pretty simple banks and turns. We were also allowed to get up and walk around for a part of it, and check out the cockpit as well. Once the load master on board had us take our seats for landing, the pilot brought us in low and fast over the airfield and banked hard to the right about 45 degrees...I would guess about 2-4 g's. It was a good time, especially for those of us heading to pilot training soon!
The last day of MOE we had the chance to do an obstacle/confidence course as a flight...the kind of stuff I had been waiting for. It's called the Vigilant Warrior Course and was made up of 15 different obstacles. They all varied in difficulty, and for the most part everyone was able to make it through. It was also one of the better times during that week, and was a good thing to end on.
Well, the OTS section of my website will be ending pretty soon and I'll be on to Introductory Flight Training at my next duty station (Columbus AFB, MS in case you forgot). I hope those of you who've been able to read my site have enjoyed it and have gotten something out of it...especially those who are looking into OTS alone, or OTS and SUPT. I'll have one more post on this specific page with info from graduation and that will be it for OTS. The journey's just beginning and I'm having a good time so far...I'm excited to see where God's going to take me over the next 10-20 years!
No comments:
Post a Comment