Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Packing Up

Last weekend, Lana and I spent most of the time packing our things in preparation for the movers who will be here on 2 December to load our household goods onto a truck. Thankfully we don't have too much, and it will definitely easy the stress of moving. We have three separate areas of things around our apartment...one is headed to Korea with me, one is headed to Munich with Lana and the other back to the USA to a storage house in Virginia.. It will stay there until I get an assignment out of Korea and will be shipped to the new location.

I don't remember if I mentioned it previously or not, but Lana and I bought an apartment in Munich for her to live in while I'm in Korea. My assignment is what they call "unaccompanied" which means I can't bring a family...the base doesn't have the facilities (big hospital, school, etc.) to support families. Lana can come to visit me for up to 30 days at a time, and with her Lufthansa job we plan to see each other every month. She can actually work a flight Munich direct to Seoul, so I hope to take advantage of a free night's stay in a nice hotel downtown. Since the government pays for Lana to have a place in Munich, we decided it would be a good investment to buy rather than continue to give our money away in rent to pay someone else's mortgage. After I leave Korea, Lana will move out and her mom will continue to rent the apartment from us.

I have two fly days left here at Aviano before we hit the road. One is early next week before the movers come and the other the week after before our squadron ski trip to Austria. The second week of December I also have to do a refresher course in both water survival and combat survival training. I did both of these after I finished pilot training back in early 2005, and they're good for four years. We will eventually finish up the paperwork and leave Italy by mid December...time flies! We're looking forward to being in the US for my sister's wedding and Christmas with family before I head off to Korea.

The picture above is of the mountains just to the north of the base, which I took today. We had our first big snowfall of the year a couple days ago and we're all gearing up to hit the slopes for some good snowboarding. I'm leaving tomorrow again for Zermatt, Switzerland to enjoy the Thanksgiving day weekend snowboarding with friends, but sadly Lana had to fly to San Fransisco and won't be there. We'll be back together Sunday to finish packing the last of our things as we get ready for the week ahead. I hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving and great Christmas season...there's a God who provides and was born to save the world from sin!

No comments: