Saturday, May 7, 2011

Large Formation Exercise

This past week we had a phase II exercise on base. A phase II is an exercise simulating we are in the middle of a war and the base is getting hit every now and then with chemical SCUD missiles and ground attacks. This means putting on chem masks and all...not too much fun. However, I flew 8 times in three days so that was good.

On Monday the exercise kicked off with a large formation exercise (LFE) and I was the mission commander (MSN CC). For those who've read the blog for awhile, I went through the MSN CC upgrade at TLP in Belgium back in '08 (click
here for that post). This was also part of my WIC spin-up to dust of my MSN CC skills before July. The aircraft involved were:

4 x F-22s (Langley AFB)
4 x F-18s (Beaufort NAS)
2 x F-15Es (Seymour Johnson AFB)
28 x F-16s (Shaw AFB / McEntire ANGB)
3 x KC-135 tankers
1 x AWACS

The "war" took place off the east coast of North Carolina and went pretty well, considering it took the two days prior to plan it all. I was part of the air-to-ground strike package along with the F-18s and F-15Es, while the F-22s and some other F-16s provided air-to-air and SEAD coverage...F-16s also provided adversary support. In the months ahead at WIC there will be many LFEs of bigger scale, so this was a good warm up
. Fly safe!

No comments: