Sunday, September 9, 2012

Nordic Air Meet, Sweden

The past few weeks I was in Lulea, Sweden for an exercise called Nordic Air Meet.  It was similar to a Red Flag event at Nellis AFB, NV, but on a smaller scale.  The participating countries included Finland (F-18s), Switzerland (F-18s), Denmark (F-16s), the UK (GR-4 Tornadoes), Sweden (Gripens), and the US (F-16s and a KC-135 tanker).  The location reminded me of Eielson AFB in Alaska...cool temps and lots of pine trees.  The airspace was great to fly in as well, with less restrictions than in Germany and about three times the size.  I flew up on USAF C-130 (four hours) and back in an F-16 (2 1/2 hours).





 
Since the location was so far north, there wasn't too much to travel and see.  Most of the sites were in Lulea, but I did have the chance one afternoon to drive to the Storforsen Falls about an hour west.  We spent an afternoon on one of the local lakes as well for a squadron naming.  It was the first time I had reindeer as well, pretty tasty.  Lana and I hope to make it to Sweden together, hopefully Stockholm next time!


 
 


No comments: