Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Simulators At Misawa Air Base, Japan

This past week 4 of us from the squadron flew to Misawa Air Base in Japan on an Army C-12 to use their 4 Mission Training Center (MTC) F-16 simulators. We have 2 Unit Training Device (UTD) simulators here at Kunsan, but there are a lot of differences between the two. The main difference is the MTCs have a 360° field of view whereas the UTDs just have a large flat screen in front of the pilot. After the pilot sits in the sim cockpit, simply pushing a button closes the back half of the sim around him like a clam shell. The JHMCS helmet can also be worn in the simulator. They can link all 4 of the MTCs together, so in essence "flying" in the MTCs is like flying a regular 4-ship mission in real life...the best video game in the world! We "flew" 2-3 sim periods a day and by the end of the week had learned a great deal and became more proficient in certain F-16 missions.

Our first sim period each day except for Friday didn't start until 1030 so it was nice to hit the gym before work. After the last sim finished around 1830 we headed off base for either Indian (if you didn't know already, I like Indian food), sushi or Japanese steak. I guess I talk about the food when I am traveling so much for a couple reasons. First, I really like food period. Second, Korean food isn't very good so I'm always glad to have more of a selection when traveling.

Anyway, on Thursday we finished a little early and hit the base course for 9 holes of golf finishing as the sun went down. I actually shot a 40 (Brent, you'd be proud) which was very surprising. I 1 putted 4 of the 9 holes, so there was some luck involved. Friday around noon the C-12 was back to pick us up for the flight back to Kunsan. Flying on the C-12 was a great deal since we could fly direct from Kunsan to Misawa. We had our own military taxi service...kind of nice!

Well, this next week is another Operational Readiness Exercise (ORE) so more fun times simulating war time 24 hours a day. I'll be flying 2-3 times each day, so I'm relaxing this weekend to get ready. Enjoy the weekend, fly safe and check six!

No comments: