Sunday, July 10, 2011

WIC Flying Starts Next Week

Our first week of academics is over and flying starts this next Wednesday. We've had two tests and will have two more on Mon / Tues. Things are going well so far....lots of PowerPoint briefings and coffee to stay awake. Below is a picture of our dorm. I feel like I'm back in Korea again as far as the living accommodations go.

Being here at Weapons School is such a great opportunity. Being here is amazing and humbling. It's great to be a student again and not have to worry about additional jobs we normally do like scheduling, training, and safety; everything is about tactics and becoming a better instructor pilot / leader in the F-16...what we joined the Air Force to do!

The two flights I have this next week (BFM-1 / BFM-2) are exactly like those I flew in my
spin-up. They are Basic Fighter Maneuver (BFM) flights, or dogfighting. BFM is one of the initial skills all pilots learn in F-16 training and is one of the basic building blocks used to teach effective maneuvering in relation to another aircraft while employing missiles and the air-to-air gun. This is my first chance to make a good first impression on the instructors, and I'm ready. We have dry erase boards in our rooms to practice our briefings as we prepare as well. Below is my Offensive BFM briefing board.

There have been no pilots (that I know of) that have gone through Weapons School and not busted (failed) any of their flights. I'm expecting a few of these along the way, and it's all to make sure we're the best we can be before going back to a squadron as the tactical expert to lead guys. The tough thing here is to not let it "get to your head." I know God has directed me here, and I'll have confidence in this when things get rough. More to follow...

1 comment:

Brent, Lori and Elli said...

Praying for you and excited about what you are doing. Keep posting!!!