The EPEs involve a number of emergencies which the pilot has to analyze, maintain aircraft control and take the proper checklist actions to safely recover the aircraft or eject if needed. Some of these include an engine fire (of which the F-16 only has one, so this is pretty critical), hydraulic leaks, engine oil leaks, and a myriad of electronic failures / anomalies. Depending on where the aircraft is at the time, friendly or enemy territory, the course of action may change. An F-16 pilot must ask himself some questions, "If I move a certain switch now, how will this affect my ability to shoot missiles or drop bombs...now that I've lost a certain system, how does that affect my combat capability...should I proceed into enemy territory or return to base?"
The flight evaluations grade the pilots ability to execute either instrument procedures or mission specifics tasks and focuses on the pilot's highest level of qualification (i.e. wingman, flight lead or instructor)...the more qualified, the more is expected. With all of this comes more responsibility on my part to know the procedures and tactics so I can effectively evaluate another F-16 pilot. It's a position I gladly accept! Check six!
No comments:
Post a Comment